Question Posted By
MGT 3172.01 Analysis and Design of Organization Quiz 2
True or False
1. A manager’s span of control includes subordinates he or she supervises directly and subordinates that he or she supervises indirectly.
2. Members have difficulty responding to changing conditions is most likely to be a disadvantage of the institutionalized role. (True)
3. The product division structure is not used when an organization produces broadly similar products that use the same set of support functions.
4. Functional structure has greater vertical and horizontal differentiation than a divisional structure and employs more complex integrating mechanisms.
5. Most Fortune 500 companies do not use a functional structure because it allows them to grow and expand their operations while maintaining control over their activities.
6. Organizational culture can be designed or managed.
7. Ups engages in an intensive and detailed training program.
8. A functional structure is a design that groups people of dissimilar skills.
9. The five principles of bureaucratic theory specify the most effective way to design the hierarchy of authority in an organization.
10. Managers are not responsible for determining the shape of the organizational hierarchy, the number of levels, and the span of control.
11. Tall organizations have small levels of hierarchy.
12. The problem with Pfizer’s hierarchy was that it was too flat.
13. Various factors influence a company’s decision to reduce managerial post.
14. Pfizer’s hierarchy became uncontrollable because of mergers and acquisitions.
15. In order for an organizational effectiveness, managers and employees should devise their own principles.
16. Every organizational role has a vertical and horizontal dimension.
17. Union Pacific’s top managers decided not to centralize authority high in the hierarchy.
18. Customer service was the most important element for Amazon.
19. Ethical behavior is a mechanistic structure.
20. Stakeholder goals and objectives can be achieved only when organizational skills and capabilities are controlled through organizational structure.
Select the appropriate response
21. Which of the following statements is true regarding a functional structure?
A. People are grouped together according to the specific demands of products, market, or customers.
B. Structure can only be used in decentralized organizations.
C. No choice listed
22. Collective socialization tactics ______________.
A. Provide newcomers with explicit information about the sequence in which they will perform new activities.
B. Provide newcomers with common learning experiences designed to produce a standardized response to a situation.
C. Give newcomers precise knowledge of the timetable associated with completing each stage in the learning process.
23. Which of the following is most likely to be a disadvantage of the institutionalized role orientation?
A. Members behave in unpredictable ways.
B. Managers have difficulty creating an ethical culture.
C. Members have difficulty responding to changing conditions.
24. Rites of __________ mark an individual’s entry to, promotion in, and departure from the organization.
25. Cultural values are a result of the ________________.
A. Values of the environment
B. Practices followed by the competitors
C. In alignment with the values of the founders
26. Golden parachutes are _________.
A. The rights of the managers to lay off employees if they are not performing well.
B. Rights of the managers to receive large sums of money if they are fired when their company is taken over.
C. The rights of the workers to receive compensation if they are injured on the job.
27. When an organization that uses a functional structure grows, _______.
A. The cost of each function’s contribution to the development of each product becomes increasingly difficult to measure
B. The extent of division of labor decreases
C. The process of communication simplifies
28. This can be utilized by managers to increase vertical differentiation?
A. Diversify the business
B. Increase the richness of the environment
C. Increase the number of levels in the hierarchy
29. Organizational ___________ is a set of shared values and norms that controls employees’ interactions with each other and with others.
30. The following allows new organizational members to try new norms and values
A. A high degree of centralization
B. An individualized role orientation
C. A narrow stance on social responsibility
31. Some organizations have all newly hired trainees go through pre-designed classroom training programs and this is an example of a(n) ________________.
A. Institutionalized role orientation
B. Informal training program
C. Individualized role orientation
32. Corporations with training programs with four stages insist that new employees complete each state in one month making the total training time four months. This form of training is ______.
33. Role models are provided to new employees with this tactic.
34. Organizational members reinforce and build common bonds is called ______.
35. The following statement is true for a product division structure.
A. Use of product division structure leads to duplication of organizational activities.
B. Product division structure support functions are centralized at the top of the organization.
C. A product division structure is used by an organization which produces a wide variety of complex products.
36. A car dealer ship has a casual dress code and the dress code is considered a part of the organizational ____________.
37. The following indicates cultural values to organizational members.
A. Organizational stories
B. Annual reports
C. Business proposals
38. Organizations with 3,000 employees is most likely to have ___________ levels in its hierarchy.
39. When number of hierarchical levels increase, _______.
A. Centralization decreases
B. Levels of hierarchy increases
C. None of the above
40. Golden parachutes are provided to ______________.
Brief responses: Essay questions
41. Define span of control.
42. Why are direct supervisors essential?
43. What are the advantages and disadvantages associated with network structures?
44. What were the problems with Liz Claiborne’s old organizational structure?
45. Define the levels of organizational structure described in class this week.
46. List ways why Southwest and Value Line’s cultures differ so vastly.
47. List 5 organizations that are sociably responsible and why.
48. What ways is culture transmitted to an organization’s members?
49. How can a manager develop an innovative culture?
50. What was the argument presented by large companies like Google and others against the whistle-blowing program?
Copyrights © 2016 | Unquite.com is a Part of Minds Blow LLC and All Rights Reserved With Minds Blow LLC
Uploading copyrighted material is strictly prohibited. Refer to our DMCA Policy for more information.
This is an online marketplace for tutorials and study guides. All the content is provided by third parties and unquite.com is not liable for the similarity.